When saving files outside of the application, there are two options you can use, predefined directories, or local files. This article will describe how to use the first of these two options, predefined directories. When we use the term directories, we mean the locations, like Personal account, Company account, or My computer, that you select in the Save document dialog, shown below.
Options for Saving Locally
Set up and save specific locations on your computer or local network as directories you can save to at a later point in time. The benefit of doing this is that you don’t have to define a path every time you save and can easily use the application to check where files are located instead of searching your computer.
Save as > Local Files
You can also browse your computer or local network and find a location to save in at the time of saving. Find out more about this in Saving a document.
Adding a new directory
- Click on Edit in the menu bar, and select Settings from the bottom of the list
- Select the Document paths tab, and click on Add
- Under Path properties, enter a name for the path, e.g. Charts
- Click on the ellipses button to select a location for the directory
Removing or editing your custom directories
- Select Settings from the Edit menu, and click on the document paths tab
- All the directories you’ve created will be displayed on the left, under Additional directories
- Simply select the one you want to edit or remove, and either edit its properties or click Remove
Changing the default location of the My Computer directory
By default, the My computer directory saves files to the Documents folder on your computer.
While you cannot delete this directory, you can edit its location to one of your choice.
- In the document paths tab of the settings dialog box, deselect Default
- Enter or browse for a new location and press OK